Welcome to the St John the Baptist Church, Secunderabad. We are a congregation of the Church of South India, Medak Diocese. Our Church is the oldest church in the twin cities of Hyderabad and Secunderabad. The Church was consecrated and dedicated in 1813 and initially served the spiritual needs of the British Forces stationed at Lancer’s line, Secunderabad. Presently, we are serving a large cosmopolitan congregation of Anglicans in the city.
Military Officers, non-commissioned Officers, soldiers of the British Army, worshiped at St. John’s Church, as also the railway officers of the Nizam Warranteed State Railway. Indian Christians along with a few British civilians were accommodated in the South wing of the Church. The Military Engineering Service attended to the maintenance of St. John’s church.
St. Johns Church is cruciform in shape. The Rangoon Teak wooden ceiling is supported by graceful columns designed according to a strict rule and order known as the Tuscan order, which is a simplified version of the Doric order.
It was only in 1914 that electric lighting was installed. However the pankahs made way for the domes only in 1918 after the war. In 1914 the aisles and open spaces were tiled with aesthetically patterned minton tiles. Marble steps were laid from the chancel to the sanctuary. New telescopic brass altar rails were erected. One tends to overlook, at the foot of the Altar, near the brass rail, three circular pieces of art floor that covers the entire floor with minton tiles of the Pascal Lamp and the symbols Alpha and Omega on either side.
The Military Band that was in attendance at the Parade Services on Sundays, had the effect of drowning the voices, resulting in the congregation having no desire to sing against the band. The Organ as an accompaniment to the Parade Services resulted in a real hearty response in the singing. Thus the Pipe Organ became an integral part of St. John’s Church.
The Tracker Action Great Organ was built with voluntary contributions from the members of the Church. Additional pipes were added by different families as a thanksgiving. The Lieblick Gedackt Stop and the Gamba Stop and twelve pipes were added to the Great Organ in 1916. The Great Organ has a simple organ case correct in form, contour and principles. This conceals the pipe work and keeps out the damp and dust. Carvings and shades relieve the monotony.
Mr. T.V. Comfort, Member of the Royal School of Church Music and organist and Music co-ordinator for over six decades at the church installed a third manual.